String Theories is produced by Paper Cookie Productions, LLC — and we take your privacy very seriously and work hard to treat it with respect.
The gist is this:
- We only gather the barest minimum amount of data we need in order to provide you the show’s experience and to understand aggregate listener behavior.
- We only collect personally identifiable information (PII) if you directly and willfully provide it to us (e.g. by emailing or tweeting us).
- Our current audio partner, SoundCloud, collects some information about you and your behavior, including audio playback as well as general web analytics via Google Analytics (we are looking into ways to reduce this).
What we collect:
- Play count: The SoundCloud player we use to present our audio stories includes a built-in tracker that records how many “plays” a particular episode has. This means that each time you play an episode for more than a few seconds SoundCloud records a “play”. We use this information to understand how popular (or utterly ignored and forgotten) our episodes are. Other users can also see this number on SoundCloud. This information is in no way personally identifiable, nor can we tell if you individulally have listened to a particular episode.
- Contact information if you contact us: This is pretty obvious, but if you contact us, such as via email or Twitter, we will naturally receive your contact information, such as your email address or Twitter name. We may use this information to respond to you or get in touch for things related to your contact or the show. If you contact us and express an interest in staying up-to-date with news about the show, we may communicate with you to keep you up-to-date with news about the show. This contact information will only be handled and used by members of Paper Cookie Productions, LLC, or agents working on its behalf in order to contact you (such as an email provider). If you request we no longer communicate with you, we will immediately stop contacting you (with a polite final goodbye).
- Google Analytics from SoundCloud: This one isn’t us, but we want to mention it: SoundCloud, our audio platform, includes Google Analytics for tracking user behavior. Additionally, SoundCloud may add other analytics tracking systems without any actions from us. Paper Cookie Productions, LLC, does not have access to the data that SoundCloud tracks beyond the basic play count on audio episodes, and we ensure that no PII about you from this website is exposed to SoundCloud or its analytics. However, since Google Analytics (and any other potential analytics systems included by SoundCloud) may be deployed across various websites, these analytics systems may have identified you from information on another website and will therefore know that you have visited stringtheories.co, and potentially whether you have listened to episodes and which episodes you have listened to.
Updates to This Policy
From time to time we will change our practices and technologies — When we do, we commit to making decisions with respect for your privacy and updating this policy with clear language explaining how the changes may affect you.
When we make updates, we’ll have a mechanism to review the changes, including date and time of the changes.